Ways to Help My Students to be Better Readers
Asian Journal of Language, Literature and Culture Studies,
This paper examined how to help the students develop good reading habits and become better readers. The researcher is currently working as the principal at Zungnye Primary School, Bumthang, and teaches English in class IV. He took a group of 19 students from class four and encouraged them to read newspapers, magazines, books, by organizing book talks, and encouraging them to share their views while doing reading activities. The researcher used face-to-face interactions, observations, survey questionnaires, and field notes.
Purpose: The ultimate purpose of this action research was to help the students develop good reading habits and become better readers. To become better readers, they need to acquire appropriate reading skills, strategies, and techniques. Students will be able to read effectively and communicate through reading at an appropriate age level.
- To identify the reading disability in students.
- To explore factors affecting the reading habits of the students.
- To demonstrate appropriate reading skills, techniques, and strategies.
- To create a forum for students to read and share their reading.
- To motivate and encourage students to read.
- To develop school reading habits or culture.
- To develop a culture of reading habits in school.
Findings of the Research: Through this research, the following were some of the notable findings:
- Lack of moral help and support.
- Lack of encouragement for reading
- Not given enough time for reading
- Lack of appropriate reading materials in the schools.
- Reading materials are not easily accessible.
- Lack of constant reinforcement and support.
- Lack of modeling.
- Home factors that militate against the development of literacy.
- creating opportunities
- intervention strategies
- reading habits
- reading skills
- reading strategies
- reading techniques
How to Cite
Maggart ZR. The reading process: The teacher and a learner (6th ed.). USA: Wm. C; 1992.
Maxwell T. Action research for Bhutan. Rabsel, the CERD Education Journal. Paro. 2003;III:1-20
Sandra S. Techniques and resources in teaching reading. Oxford University Press; 1994.
Richard E. How to help children read better; 2009.
Kara. Reading and learning to read (2nd Ed.). New York: Harper Collins; 1970.
Serra C, Wangmo R. Guidelines for the supplementary reading program; 1999.
Reconnaissance and the Action Research Question ...https://www.researchgate.net
The Effect of THE Timing OF Pre-Reading ... – core. https://core.ac.uk
The Reading Disease - Amazon AWS https://apfstatic.s3.ap-south-1.amazonaws.com
Testing and Evaluating Student Achievement in Reading. https://files.eric.ed.gov
Rabsel Volume - Paro College of Education. http://www.pce.edu.bt
Abstract View: 345 times
PDF Download: 120 times